2015/05/02 - General Membership Meeting Minutes
General Membership Meeting Minutes - May 2, 2015
Location: English Landing Park, Parkville, MO
Attendance: Donna Abdul-Haqq, Doug Bridwell, Jim & Jan Henderson, Bart Klein, Robert Lindwall, Scott Peper, Richard and Evon Repaire, Vern Rowland, Jack & Kathleen Royer, Phil Turner
- The meeting was called to order at 11:45am and the members present were challenged to eat enough food to make up for the calories burned walking from the parking lot to “Pavilion #3” which was located – apparently – to service avid hikers along the riverbank trail.
- Flyers provided by Volvo of Overland Park were distributed encouraging club members to take advantage of the “Limited Offer” for 2016 Polestar editions of the S60 and V60 Volvos. While 2015/16 XC90’s have yet to be delivered to the dealership, 12 have been sold!
- Bart Klein, Chapter Vice President and member of the VCOA Board of Directors, gave an update from the parent organization advising that the 2015 National meeting is scheduled for October 30th – November 1st at Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Plans are progressing for a spectacular meet at a premier setting.
- VCOA has been given the exclusive use of a fairway adjacent to the Motoring Festival at the Port Royal Golf Resort, host site for the 14th Annual Hilton Head "Motoring Festival - the up and coming "Pebble Beach of the Right Coast". New at the festival this year is an AeroExpo of antique and classic aircraft. The Festival features a Car Club Showcase on Saturday, followed by the Concours d'Elegance on Sunday - with more "VOLVO" surprises to be announced soon. Watch for the “eRolling” as well as the printed edition of the VCOA journal for full details in regards to registration, and the calendar of events. Also look for specific information on the national organizations web site in the near future. http://www.vcoa.org VCOA Host hotel will be the Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island (http://www.sonesta.com/hiltonheadisland VCOA Members can make reservations online or phone the Sonesta directly 843-842-2400 and indicate or mention the Group ID "2015VCOAHH" for the VCOA discount rate.
- Bart Klein also spoke about the VCOA Midwest Regional “Midsommar” event scheduled for June 12-14 in Hannibal, Missouri. Host organization is the Gateway Chapter out of St. Louis and their web site has detail on the event, complete with an internet link for registration https://sites.google.com/site/gatewayvcoa/home/z-test-page along with a phone number for reservations at the official event hotel, “Best Western on the River”. You must call 573-248-1150 to receive the special room rate of $99 per night with breakfast included. (Tip: Don’t wait until the last minute!) Visit ww.tinyurl.com/midsommar2015info for all the details! Cut off date for registration is May 22nd and the hotel is releasing the hold on the rooms at the special rate on May 11th.
- Next on the agenda was a report on the “Road Trip” up to the Strategic Air and Space Museum in Ashland, Nebraska on the weekend of April 18th – 19th. Weather did not cooperate but eight hardy souls in a five vehicle convoy made a safe trip to and from Nebraska. In addition to the museum (Look on the club web site for photos!) we enjoyed a wonderful Nebraska Beef dinner with Lily Hans and stopped by to visit with her and Bob the following morning, checking on Bob’s progress with the recuperation and rehabilitation process and letting him know that the rest of the club misses both of them!
- Jim Henderson took the opportunity to invite club members to attend and participate in the “Wexford Place Car Show” being held on Saturday, June 20th. This is a “Cruise In” type car show at which Volvo’s of all vintage are welcome! No Entry Fee. Free Lunch and Root Beer Floats! Donations are welcomed and will go to the benefit of the Alzheimer’s Association. 11:00am – 2:00pm at Senior Star at Wexford Place, 6500 No. Cosby Ave., Kansas City, MO 64151
- While she was not present to give further detail, it was noted that long time member (and Kansas City Police officer) Devon Stewart “made the news” recently. She is one of two female officers currently participating in the Motorcycle Patrol Officer School at the KCPD! If selected, she will be the third female – and the first in over a decade – to be assigned to the Motorcycle Patrol. “Polestar” drivers beware.
Turner then went on to provide a summary of the remaining “planned” events for 2015 –
- July 11th – Regular Club Membership meeting and participation in the Church of the Resurrection Car Show, Leawood, KS
- September 12th - Regular Membership Meeting and Brewery Tour! Boulevard Brewery, Kansas City, MO
- September 19th – 3rd Annual Mid-Missouri Meet Up with the Gateway Chapter.
The meeting was then thrown open to comments from the floor. Robert Lindwall shared information on Hannibal, MO and how to request additional info from the Hannibal Chamber of Commerce/Tourism office. Good source of information for those bringing family/friends to the Midsommar Event next month.
Business, conversation, food and beverages being dispensed with, the meeting was formally adjourned at 2:30pm with congratulations to the Gourmet Chef’s who were gracious and generous enough to bring their “signature” food items (in large quantity it must be noted) to share with the group.
Several members then moved their beloved and well polished Volvo’s over to the Parkville Farmer’s Market for the “Cruise In” that the city held that afternoon. The Volvo’s did not get lost in the crowd of 80- 90 cars and apparently motivated at least three couples to visit the Volvo dealership the following Monday!
Next Meeting: Saturday July 11th – Church of the Resurrection, Leawood, KS
Phil Turner - President