2014/11/08 General Membership Meeting
General Membership Meeting Minutes - November 8, 2014
Location: Volvo of Overland Park, 7801 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, Kansas
Attendance: Doug Bridwell, John Bunyard, Brian Clark, Eli Clark, John Eby, Jim Henderson, Duane Hoberg, John Janes, Stacey Kenyon, Bart Klein, Robert Lindwall, Stephen Morse, Scott Peper, Wes Phillips, Kevin Reene, Vern Rowland, John Sloss, Brad Tally, Phil Turner, Jim and Sam Wehunt.
The meeting was brought to order at 11:45am with the introduction of members, prospective members, and guests in attendance.
Mike Rauscher, General Manager of Volvo of Overland Park was given the floor to introduce both himself and the dealership in general to the club. He gave a fairly specific overview of the long range plans of the “Volvo” portion of the new dealership and its intent to work with, support, and call upon the Volvo Club of Kansas City in the future. He extended a gracious invitation to all members to attend the “Grand Opening” of the dealership that is scheduled for Tuesday, December 9th from 5:00pm thru 8:00pm.
Next up was the introduction of Eli Clark and several other members of the “S60R” group from the Kansas City area. Hopefully they will join with the VCOA chapter and participate in future events and other activities. (They appear to be an energetic and road worthy bunch!)
Phil Turner then took the floor and gave reports on the following:
- Chapter member Robert (Bob) Hans from Lincoln, Nebraska is in the “Rehabilitation and Recovery” mode following a stroke he suffered on September 1st. His wife, and fellow club member, Lily keeps us informed and we hope that significant recovery is underway.
- The 2015 VCOA National Meet and Car Show - held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas on the previous weekend (October 31st –November 2nd), was a success with 64 cars and 119 people registered. The National Office was well represented with both Club President John Holtzapple and Rolling Editor and Director Jan Nystrom present. Additionally Board of Directors members Mike Dudek and Bart Klein were in attendance, participating in the events. Guest speaker for the Banquet was Per-Åke Froberg, Director of Volvo Cars Heritage in Gothenburg, Sweden (Who was also “Everywhere” at the car show and visited with seemingly everyone. Great Guy!”)
- Our chapter was well represented thanks to a 12 car convoy that went down to the event on Friday. A total of 14 Heart of America chapter cars and 23 chapter members were at the event, bringing home a significant portion of the awards!
- 1st place – Modern Stock (Brad Tally 2004 S60R)
- 1st place – Sedan, Modified (Jim Henderson 1966 122s)
- 2nd place – PV & 210 (Bart Klein 1967 210)
- 2nd place – Coupe Stock (John Eby 2012 C30)
- 2nd place – FWD Sedan (Scott Peper 1995 855T5R)
- 3rd place – RWD Sedan (Jeff Schuman 1983 242GL)
- Highest Mileage – 300,000 – 400,000 (Scott Peper 1995 855T5R)
- Highest Mileage – Overall (Robert Lindwall 1987 745) 626,000+ miles
Volvo of Overland Park was kind (and generous) enough to donate several very nice and valuable OEM accessories to the host chapter of the event (The Ozark Rollers Chapter) for the “Dutch Auction” on Friday evening.
Photos can be viewed on the chapter website (www.kc-vcoa.org) and on YouTube at “2014 National VCOA Meet in Eureka Springs, Arkansas” - a 6 minute slide show produced by chapter member, event photographer and drone pilot, Bob Foos
- Next up was a short report on the 2nd Annual “Mid Missouri Meet-Up” that took place on Sunday October 19th, when the Gateway and Heart of America Chapters “met up” in Jefferson City, Missouri for a tour of the historic old State Penitentiary followed by a very pleasant lunch at the nearby Canterbury Hill Winery & Restaurant. Another successful Road Trip!
- Several chapter members have been participating in Car Shows and other events over the late summer months. The All British Car Club of Kansas City invited both Swedish and Italian Cars to join them for their 33rd annual Car Show at Zona Rosa on August 31st. The City of Overland Park extended an invitation (for the 3rd year in a row) for our club to participate in their “Fall Festival” on September 27th, and as the Antique Automobile Club of America chose to feature “Foreign Cars” at their 42nd annual meeting and car show in Lawrence, Kansas on October 5th, three (3) members showed up with their “30 years and older” Volvos - and took home both first and second place awards!
- Event Planning – 2015
- March 4th – March 8th Greater Kansas City International Auto Show (Bartle Hall) The chapter has been asked to provide two cars for display with the new cars in the Volvo area!
- Mid June. The annual VCOA Regional “Midsommar” event is being hosted by the Gateway Chapter this year and may be held in Hannibal, Missouri. Details to be released at a later date.
- Our club is considering a spring road trip up to Ashland, Nebraska to tour the Strategic Air & Space Museum located between Omaha and Lincoln. More than likely an “overnight” event with opportunities to eat well.
- The 2015 VCOA National Meeting event is currently in the planning stages with hopes that a chapter on the west coast or Florida will volunteer to host the event. Specific details will be provided as they are made public.
The annual election of officers of the chapter was held. Specifically a “non-event” as no one would accept nomination! Thus the current leadership team remains in place for 2015 (You have only yourselves to blame!)
President – Phil Turner
Vice President and Public Relations Chairperson – Bart Klein
Treasurer – Jim Henderson
- Next regularly scheduled membership meeting is on Saturday, January 10, 2015 Location to be determined – expect an announcement with this information sometime in December.
Meeting was adjourned at 1:00pm with much “networking” type discussion following while enjoying a light lunch provided by Volvo of Overland Park.
A small inventory of the VCKC Logo Polo Shirts are still available at $25.00 each
- 5 - Medium Blue
- 1 - Medium Yellow
- 2 - XLarge Yellow
- 3 - XXLarge Blue
- 2 - XXLarge Yellow
Please contact Phil Turner if you would like to purchase one (or more).
(816) 213-0769 or by eMail at email@example.com