2015/07/11 - General Membership Meeting
General Membership Meeting Minutes - July 11, 2015
Location: Church of the Resurrection, Leawood, KS
Attendance: Bob Foos, Robert Haisch, Bart Klein, Scott Peper, Richard and Evon Repaire, Jeff Schuman, and guest Ashley Ethridge, Phil Turner
(Editorial note: Additional details on some topics have been obtained since the close of business at the meeting. They have been added to the narrative below)
Bart Klein, Chapter Vice President and member of the VCOA Board of Directors, gave an update from the parent organization advising that the 2015 National meeting, scheduled for October 30th – November 1st at Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, is turning into a pretty big damned deal!
- VCOA has been given the exclusive use of a fairway adjacent to the Motoring Festival at the Port Royal Golf Resort, host site for the 14th Annual Hilton Head "Motoring Festival - the up and coming "Pebble Beach of the Right Coast". New at the festival this year is an AeroExpo of antique and classic aircraft. The Festival features a Car Club Showcase on Saturday, followed by the Concours d'Elegance on Sunday. “Auctions America” is adding a collector car auction to the weekend in the Westin Hotel next to Port Royal. VCOA is looking into including this event as part of the national meet cost but - this will more than likely not be included based upon feedback from the auction company.
- Meet Registration fee set at $145/Adult, $60/Youth 6-15.
- VCOA Host hotel will be the Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island http://www.sonesta.com/hiltonheadisland. VCOA Members can make reservations online or phone the Sonesta directly at 843- 842-2400 and indicate or mention the Group ID "2015VCOAHH" for the VCOA discount rate. $119.00 per night.
- There will be a Heritage display of selected Volvos that the Hilton Head Concours event will showcase. Cars selected for this display will not be part of the VCOA event but will be recognized by the club and the larger concours event.
- Volvo Cars North America (VCNA) has committed to corporate sponsorship, Exhibit, Hospitality tent (access to us TBD), T8 Test Drives. VCOA Showcase cars we select will be positioned as a group at the entrance to Volvo's display.
- Lex Kerssemakers, CEO and President of Volvo Americas has committed to speak at Saturday night's banquet and may have a number of other VCNA executives attend.
- VCOA is working with VCNA to have a possible ground breaking for the new South Carolina plant. This is only an idea at this time that VCNA is contemplating.
- VCOA is working up alternative activities for those who do not want to spend the entire day at the VCOA event. Here are some ideas and costs of extra excursions that we could direct our non-car spouses toward.https://destinationsdmcclient.viperdmc.com/Programs/Proposals/Default.aspx?p=334
- Watch for the “eRolling” as well as the printed edition of the VCOA journal “Rolling” for full details in regards to registration, and the calendar of events.
- Also look for specific information on the national organizations web site in the near future. http://www.vcoa.org
- Just as an FYI - The 2015 National Meet artwork has been designed by chapter members, Don Mackey and Bart Klein.
- Bart Klein is tentatively planning to drive to the meet in South Carolina and several members have indicated an interest in forming a convoy with a brief stop in St. Louis to pick up a few extra cars in the Gateway chapter. The plan is to leave early the morning of 10/28 and then return to Kansas City on 11/4. Please contact Bart at email@example.com if you are interested in joining him on the convoy.
Turner then went on to provide a summary of the remaining “planned” events for 2015 –
- August 1st – Smithville Lake Car Cruise-in, Noon – 4:00pm. Little Platte Marina
- September 12th - Regular Membership Meeting and Brewery Tour! Boulevard Brewery, Kansas City, MO.
- September 19th – 3rd Annual Mid-Missouri Meet Up with the Gateway Chapter. As it stands on July 11th, this event will be held in Marceline, MO in conjunction with that city’s “’Toonfest” celebration http://www.toonfest.net/schedule.html
- If you plan on attending, contact Phil Turner firstname.lastname@example.org so you can be provided with additional details, as well as the rendezvous location for the “Convoy” over to the event on the morning of September 19th. We will be in the parade and have a special spot set aside to display our Volvos!
- October 4th – Antique Automobile Club of America Car Show – Lawrence, KS
Additionally, the following chapter members returned with awards from the 2015 Midsommar Event, hosted by the Gateway Chapter in Hannibal, MO on June 12th thru 14th
Robert and Paula Haisch 3rd Place “Modern Wagons”
Jim and Jan Henderson 2nd Place PV/1XX Class
Jacob Homer 4th Highest Mileage (252,000)
Robert Lindwall Highest Mileage Overall (633,397)
Scott Peper 1st Place “Modern Wagons”
2nd Highest Mileage (340,000)
Post Meeting – It saddens me to report that no Volvo’s were included among the class winners at the Church of the Resurrection Car Show. I am recommending that the organizers add a judging category for future events. “Cars with less than eight (8) cylinders that weigh less than 5,000 lbs.” That might give us a fighting chance.
Watch for your July-August 2015 edition of “Rolling”- it has an illustrated article about the Chapter’s “Road Trip” to Nebraska in April.