2015/09/12 - General Membership Meeting
General Membership Meeting Minutes - September 12, 2015
Location: Boulevard Brewery, Kansas City, Missouri
Attendance: Donna Abdul-Haqq, Robert Haisch, Trip Hogue, Bart & Holly Klein, Robert Lindwall and guests Vern & Sandi Knutson, and Eric Markham, Don Mackey, Mike Newburger, Vern Rowland and guests Celeste Milton, Rob & Bill Weidling, and Kai Ruth, Jeff Schuman and guests Chris & Stephanie Loveless (Note: Chris might look familiar to you as he is one of the best technicians at the service department of the Volvo Dealership), Devon Stewart, Phil Turner, Jim & Sam Wehunt
Phil Turner started the meeting with the introduction of guests, some coming from as far away as Illinois. Special recognition was given to Vern and Sandi Knutson, the co-presidents of the Sons of Norway Association, Maihaugen Lodge. The Scandinavian Associations have been very generous with their invitations for our group to join them at their holiday festivities, and we are invited to join them on Saturday, October 17th in celebration of “Leif Erickson Day” at Uncle Bucks Grill located at the Bass Pro Shop in Olathe, KS – a delicious Scandinavian Menu is worth the trip and expense by itself! See the attached file for details and registration information.
Bart Klein, Chapter Vice President and member of the VCOA Board of Directors, gave an update from the parent organization regarding the details of the 2015 National meeting, scheduled for October 30th – November 1st at Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
- Meet Registration fee set at $145/Adult, $60/Youth 6-15.
- VCOA Host hotel will be the Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Islandhttp://www.sonesta.com/hiltonheadisland.
- VCOA Members can make reservations online or phone the Sonesta directly at 843- 842-2400 The deadline has since passed for discounted “Group Event” rates.
- Lex Kerssemakers, CEO and President of Volvo Americas has committed to speak at Saturday night's banquet and may have a number of other VCNA executives attend.
- Watch for the “eRolling” as well as the printed edition of the VCOA journal “Rolling” for full details in regards to registration, and the calendar of events.
- Also look for specific information on the national organizations web site in regards to the 2016 Natonal Meet in the near future. http://www.vcoa.org
Bart Klein is tentatively planning to drive to the meet in South Carolina and several members have indicated an interest in forming a convoy with a brief stop to pick up a few extra cars from the Gateway chapter in either St. Louis or along a more southern route in Missouri. The plan is to leave early the morning of 10/28 and then return to Kansas City on 11/4. Please contact Bart at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in joining him on the convoy.
Members were reminded that the November meeting, scheduled for Saturday, November 14th, (Location yet to be determined) is the event at which the annual election of officers takes place. Interested parties or those wishing to nominate candidates for President, Vice President and Treasurer should be at this meeting and start campaigning now! There will be no debates and “Political Correctness” rules will not be in force.
President Turner announced that the 2016 VCOA Regional “Midsommar” event will be hosted by the Heart of America Chapter and that planning is just starting. Save space on your social calendar for the weekend of June 17th – 19th 2016.
Trip Hogue – our “inside connection” to the Boulevard Brewing Company – was kind enough to address the group and provide a most interesting history of the company complete with a glowing report in regards to the new owners and their dedication to the brand and the employees. To make things even better, he gave the group a personal tour of the physical plant – Much better than the generic tours afforded “common people”!
Turner then went on to provide a summary of the remaining “planned” events for 2015 –
- September 19th – 3rd Annual Mid-Missouri Meet Up with the Gateway Chapter. This event will be held in Marceline, MO in conjunction with that city’s “’Toonfest” celebration https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.955619284485030.1073741849.758118994235061&type=3
- September 26th – Overland Park (Kansas) “Fall Festival”. Our club, along with other area Car Clubs has been invited to participate in their event with a display of cars on 80th Street between Marty and Santa Fe streets. If interested in showing your Volvo, please contact Phil Turner for details. email@example.com
- October 4th – Antique Automobile Club of America Car Show – Lawrence, KSCars 30 years old and older are welcome to compete – otherwise this is an interesting display of many old cars of various makes for the casual spectator.
The meeting was called to a close – and the bar shut down – at about 2:30pm.