2014/01/11 - General Membership Meeting
General Membership Meeting - January 11, 2014
LOCATION: Nick & Jakes Restaurant; Parkville, Missouri
ATTENDANCE: Stan Belk, Doug Bridwell, Dale and Linda Calligan, Jim Henderson, Robert Lindwall, Mike Newburger, Scott Peper, Carole and Richard Repaire, Jeff Schuman, Ron Spragg, Phil Turner – and a special surprise guest appearance by Dick Jobe!
The meeting was called to order at 11:45am with the customary “’Round The Table” introductions complete with comments on the depth of the individual “Volvo Fixation”.
- Phil Turner advised that Volvo Cars North America has had some ‘serious shaking up’ with quite a few employees being re-engineered (polite term). Emphasis for 2014-2015 is estimated to be recapturing market points in US sales.
- Hendrick Volvo is expecting to receive their first 2015 V60 into the dealership soon and it, along with numerous other current models will be on display at the 2014 Kansas City International Auto Show being held at Bartle Hall from March 5th through March 9th. As has been their custom, the dealership is providing a generous supply of “One Day Free Passes” to the event which will be available at the March 8th Chapter meeting which is being held, like last year, at the Quaff Bar & Grill which is within easy walking distance of the Car Show.
- The 3rd annual Chapter Picnic will, in all probability, be held once again at the “Ziller Farm” in Hiawatha, KS with Debbie Coomes in charge. (Hopefully the event will be on our regularly scheduled meeting date of Saturday, May 10th – but as of now, this is “tentative” and not guaranteed – thus pencil it in on your calendars.)
- It was announced that the Gateway Chapter is planning the annual “Midsommar” VCOA Regional event for the weekend of June 21st and 22nd in Hannibal, MO – HOWEVER… After the meeting it was learned that VCOA has worked with the Ozark Rollers Chapter to host the 2014 National Meet in Eureka Springs, Arkansas at the end of October. If this comes to be, the “Midsommar” event may be skipped for 2014.
- The 2nd Annual “Mid-Missouri Meet Up” is still in the planning stages and should be held in August or September – Location To Be Determined.
- On behalf of several other members of the Chapter who had, in 2013, been attending regional “non-Volvo specific” car shows, Phil Turner invited other members who want to participate in our loose and disorganized group to show up at some of these event which will be starting in April/May. Jim Henderson encouraged those interested to join him in a trip to McPherson, KS for the McPherson College Car Show on May 3rd. Other events are shown on the Chapter Events Calendar which is provided with this mailing and is also posted on the Yahoo Group site http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VCKC
- Suggestions were solicited for other potential meeting venues and locations for regional “Road Trips” during the Spring/Summer/Fall
Following the conclusion of the Presidents agenda, the floor was thrown open to general discussion for the good of the order.
Next meeting – March 8, 2014 – the Quaff Bar & Grill, 1010 Broadway Street, Kansas City, MO 64105