2014/05/17 - General Membership Meeting
General Membership Meeting - May 17, 2014
Location: Kurzweils’ County Meats and Restaurant, Garden City, Missouri
Attendance: Donna Abdul-Haqq, Stan Belk, John Eby, Bart Klein, Evon and Richard Repaire, Vern Rowland, Brad Tally, and Phil Turner
After a modest amount of time admiring the “Swedish Car Show” in the parking lot, the membership moved inside and that meeting was called to order at 11:45am
- Remarks were heard about the significance of the location of this meeting. One of the first meetings of the newly formed Volvo Club of Kansas City, an official and authorized Chapter of the Volvo Club of America was held at this spot about ten years ago. General consensus of opinion is that the owners seem to have maintained the same level of excellence and the portions have gotten bigger!
- As Club Treasurer Jim Henderson was unable to attend the meeting, it fell upon President Turner to report on the two-car presence of the club at the McPherson College Car show held on May 3rd.
- Likewise scant detail was provided in regards to the upcoming “Senior Star at Wexford Place Car Show” on June 14th. Again, Jim Henderson is heading up this opportunity for members to have their Volvo’s on display in the Northland.
June 14th 11:00am – 2:00pm with a Hot Dog, Chips & Beverage lunch provided for a donation to the Alzheimer’s Association – as well as the always popular FREE Root Beer Floats!
6500 No. Cosby Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64151
- Brad Tally was present to give detail and background on the Church of the
Resurrection’s 13th annual Car show to benefit the Hope Center of Kansas City. http://www.cor.org/fileadmin/Arena/Drupa/COR_car_rally_2014.pdf
- The club has had a presence at this event for at least the last three years and it is hoped that several members will enter their cars again this year. You do not have to display a car to attend and the club’s regularly scheduled July meeting will be held at this event – under the VCKC sun shelter. Car show starts at 9:00am – Our meeting (brief though it may be) will commence at 11:30am.
July 12th 9:00am (or 11:30am, your choice) – 1:00pm
Church of the Resurrection
13720 Roe Avenue
Leawood, KS 66224
- Phil Turner provided an update on the 2nd Annual “Mid Missouri Meet Up” that is being hosted this year by the Gateway Chapter (St. Louis). Meeting location has been changed since the last time this event was discussed. The event is now scheduled for August 23rd at the Old State Prison in Jefferson City – Complete with Lunch! Apparently the old State Prison has been turned into a formidable and impressive museum and our group will enjoy a guided tour! As a bonus this is another “Convoy Opportunity” for those wanting to attend and participate. Further details as they are made available. Check out their web site at http://www.missouripentours.com/
- Kansas City now has a bona fide Automotive Museum. On May 10th, the Kansas City Automotive Museum opened its doors to the public. Located at 15095 West 116th Street in Olathe, Kansas (66062). It has an eclectic mix of cars (unfortunately no Volvo’s at this time), and a quite interesting group of displays in regards to the history of the Greater Kansas City area with the major automobile manufacturing firms and famous Kansas Citians who raced. Were you aware that Masten Gregory (the “Kansas City Flash”) won the 1965 LeMans Gran Prix race?
- Bart Klein provided an update on VCOA activities and addressed the 2014 VCOA National Meet which is scheduled for October 31 – November 2 at Eureka Springs, Arkansas. You are encouraged to register early using the VCOA web site http://www.vcoa.org/events/national-events You may also want to make your lodging reservations at the official event hotel “soon” in order to get the best rates guaranteed to the club members. Details are on the web site or you can contact the Best Western Inn of the Ozarks directly at (497) 253-9768 – asking for the VCOA rates starting at $109.00 per night.
- Finally, after waiting for the attendees to wipe the BBQ sauce off their fingers, Phil Turner handed out the new club Polo Shirts (w/pocket) to those that had pre-ordered. There is a small remaining inventory available at $25.00 each
5 Medium Blue
2 Large Blue
2 XLarge Yellow
3 XXLarge Blue
2 XXLarge Yellow
Please contact Phil Turner if you would like to purchase one (or more)
(816) 213-0769 or by eMail at firstname.lastname@example.org