2015/11/14 - General Membership Meeting
General Membership Meeting Minutes - November 14, 2015
Location: Blue Moose Bar & Grill, Prairie Village, Kansas
Attendance: Robert Haisch, Jim Henderson, Brandon, Meghan & Harper Porter, Mike Newburger, Scott Peper, Jack & Kathleen Royer, Jeff Schuman, Brad Tally, and Phil Turner
- Phil Turner reported on the memorial service for the late Robert Lindwall, held on Saturday, October 17th at the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Kansas City. The Heart of America Chapter was represented by the Henderson family, Vern Rowland and Phil Turner. Club provided a lovely floral arrangement (Predominantly Swedish Blue and Yellow) for the service.
- Next was an update on Bob Hans up in Lincoln. His wife (and our fellow Chapter member) Lily, reports slow progress but progress none the less with his post stroke rehabilitation.
- Treasurer’s report for the year end was provided by Jim Henderson and all present were pleased to find that there is a positive balance of $2,664.72 in the Chapter’s Bank Account.
- Bart Klein, Chapter Vice President and member of the VCOA Board of Directors, was unable to attend this meeting in person but provided a written report regarding the details of the 2015 VCOA National meeting at Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Phil Turner read pertinent details he presumed to be of interest to those in attendance.
- Foremost among the detail was the results of the judging from the Car Show portion of the meet. 100% of the Heart of America Chapter attendees garnered awards!
- Jim & Evon Repaire – 1st Place C70 Class 2001 C70 Coupe
- Bart Klein – 2nd Place C70 Class2004 C70 Convertible
- Jim & Sam Wehunt – 3rd Place Sedan/Wagon FWD2015 V60
A total of 53 Volvo Cars were on display at the event – 11 of which were at the “Car Club Showcase” area of the Hilton Head “Concours” show,
Lex Kerssemakers, CEO and President of Volvo Cars North America made a point of getting to know our shy and modest Vice President and VCOA Board Member during the course of the three day event and seemingly will be planning on visiting the Mid West during 2016 and he – or his emissary – will stop in Kansas City. (How’s that for “Networking”?)
The 2016 Volvo Club National Meeting has already been announced and will be held at Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin (“Road America”), September 15 – 18, 2016
On September 25th, Volvo Cars officially broke ground for the new manufacturing and assembly plant in Berkeley County South Carolina (aprox. 30 miles northwest of Charleston). “Huge” plans for this facility to include a test track and an “Overseas Pick Up” facility to rival the one in Sweden.
- President Turner reminded all present that the 2016 VCOA Regional “Midsommar” event will be hosted by the Heart of America Chapter and that planning should be the first order of business for the remainder of this year. Save space on your social calendar for the weekend of June 17th – 19th 2016. Location yet to be determined. Turner then went on to provide a summary of the results of events since the last meeting.
- Sept 19th – 3rd Annual Mid Missouri Meet Up at Marceline, Missouri. Five cars from our chapter. Bart Klein - 1800e, Vern Rowland and Donna Abdul-Haqq - S70, Brandon & Meghan Porter - 245, Jack Royer -1800es, Phil Turner - PV544Total of 12 Volvo cars in attendance including the Gateway Chapter Members. Two cash awards from the “’Toonfest” parade committee for us!
- Sept 26th – Overland Park Fall Festival. Brad Tally - P210, Jack Royer 1800es, Volvo of Overland Park Dealership - S60, Phil Turner – PV544
- Oct 4th – Antique Automobile Club of America Car Show – Lawrence, KS. Bart Klein - P210, Jeff Shuman – 240DL, Phil Turner – PV544. Bart Klein awarded 1st place in the “Foreign Car & Truck” Class for his P210 “Duett”.
- Phil Turner reported that Volvo of Overland Park currently is running a special “Wonder of Winter” Sale with the special attractive feature being that the dealership will make the first three payments on new cars sold (with the exception of XC60’s and “Polestar” cars). Regarding “Polestars” – there are three (3) currently on the floor. Two V60 and one (1) S60. (Editors Note: After the meeting, Motor Trend magazine has announced that they have selected the 2016 Volvo XC90 T6 as their pick for SUV of the Year. This should push sales of that vehicle even further beyond the “Unobtanium” level currently experienced by the consumer!)
“Red Friday” Rallies in support of the Kansas City Chiefs (of which VOOP is a corporate partner) are scheduled at the dealership on December 4th and December 11th. All Chapter members are welcomed to enjoy the company of Chiefs Cheerleaders, “alumni” players, The KC Wolf Mascot, and the staff of the dealership – who are happy to share Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and other refreshments during the course of the Rally between the hours of 12:00 – 2:00pm (RSVP at the website below)
- Robert Haisch put forth the suggestion that the Heart of America Chapter-VCOA (Volvo Club of Kansas City), participate as a group in the 2016 3rd Annual Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival. This event – a Combined Car Show and “Track Event” will be held on October 8-9, 2016 at Garnett Kansas’s North Lake Park – site of the former Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) 2.8 mile long road course that was part of the SCCA circuit of Grand Prix races from 1959 thru 1972. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to mingle with other Kansas City area car club members, show off Volvos, and for the more adventurous among us, drive the track “at speed”. More details to follow as our “Events Calendar” for 2016 is established.
- With all the agenda items and “comments from the floor” out of the way, there was nothing left to do but elect officers for the calendar year 2016. Current three (3) term president Turner politely (and firmly) insisted that he be voted out of office.
- President: Mike Newburger threw his hat into the ring and received a unanimous vote for the office of President.
- Vice President: Phil Turner nominated Bart Klein (absent and thus unable to complain or otherwise defend himself) to serve a second term as Vice President and, with no other nominees, he was re-elected with a resounding 100% of the votes cast.
- Treasurer: Jim Henderson volunteered to continue in his role as Treasurer, thus avoiding all of the anguish of changing bank accounts. Nominated by Turner – seconded by Royer – he also was greeted with 100% of the votes
The meeting was called to a close at 12:45 pm and lunch was ordered. Following the refreshing meals and drinks, a “Show and Tell session” was held in the parking lot with President Elect Newburger giving guided tours of his 2016 XC90 Inscription.